An exciting opportunity to lead, motivate and inspire
This is an exciting opportunity for an inspirational person who shares our city’s values and who can shape, influence and deliver our vision.
Our new chief executive will lead a forward-thinking and ambitious city council with multi-million-pound economic development and regeneration plans, excellent services that improve the lives of our residents and the drive and commitment to deliver the aspirations of our city vision.
How to apply
When applying please ensure all gaps in employment are fully explained on your CV; we may wish to verify this information during the recruitment process.
Please provide details of two referees with your application. We will not approach referees without your permission and will only do so for those candidates proceeding to final selection. Please clearly indicate whether we can approach each referee before the final selection date.
When preparing a supporting statement please make sure you address the key requirements and personal qualities set out in the role profile.
The timetable below set out the key dates in the recruitment process:
Closing Date: 21 April
- Preliminary Interviews: week commencing 1 May and 8 May
- Shortlisting: week commencing 22 May
- Stakeholder meetings: week commencing 29 May
- Appointment Sub Committee: week commencing 5 June
For further information or a confidential discussion about this role please contact:
Penny Ransley on 07549 233685 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Jo Boardman on 07834 030501
The Chief Executive will:
- Provide strategic, visible and collaborative leadership throughout the council, taking overall responsibility for delivery of services to the residents, communities and business of the city.
- Fulfil statutory responsibilities as Head of Paid Service.
- Act as the Electoral Registration and Returning Officer.
- Support the leader, cabinet and other councillors to formulate strategies, policies and plans that reflect the priorities of Portsmouth residents, taking advantage of all opportunities and resources available to improve outcomes for residents.
- Provide strong and visible leadership, ensuring all staff understand the council’s plans and priorities, and deliver the strategic aims and direction set by councillors.
- Provide sound governance, working effectively with the Section 151 officer and the Monitoring officer to ensure council resources are deployed effectively and in line with corporate priorities; ensuring there is probity and integrity in decision making and compliance with legislation, policy and statutory requirements.
- Ensure robust management of the council, leading on delivery of major projects and initiatives.
- Represent the council locally, regionally and nationally, promoting Portsmouth’s best interests.